Ahhhhh, while March is usually cold and this year has brought us 4 Northeasters, it’s fun to start thinking about summer, flowers and summer guests. Our summer bookings have been coming in fast and furious, and we have been thrilled to see many longer stays- after all Cape Cod is pretty magical in the summer months and staying just for 2-3 days is not long enough to see and enjoy all that Cape Cod has to offer.
This post is segment two of our Native Guide to Cape Cod and includes suggestions for a five night getaway. We love to visit with guests that are new to Cape Cod and help them plan their itinerary for their stay. Listed below is what we would recommend as our favorites for a 5 night stay:
- Arrival day– we always tell our guests that they are welcome to arrive any time after 12 noon. Most times your room will be ready, and we love to give you a jump start on your Cape Cod holiday. If you are new to the Captain Freeman Inn and your schedule allows, we spend time showing you the inn, the grounds and helping you plan your Cape Cod getaway. Our suggestions are made after we get a feel if you wold like a more relaxed beach/pool getaway or if you would like to be out and about seeing all of the attractions that make Cape Cape such a sought out destination. And because we are “foodies” and love to connect our guests with the perfect dining experience during their stay, we always ask “What do you have in mind?” After you get settled in, most guests love to take a short stroll to Breakwater Beach where you can walk for miles on our pristine bay beach-
We are known for our tidal flats so make sure to see our bay beach at low and high tide, which changes come in and out every 6 hours.
After your beach walk come back to the inn and enjoy a glass of our specialty- Lavender Lemonade and the treat of the day which might include our delicious Rustic Cornmeal Wild Blueberry Cake.
Relax by the pool, walk our gardens and afterwards enjoy a casual dinner at our favorite pub- The Lost Dog. We love their homemade pizzas and hamburgers plus their homemade fried are addictive:)
- Day 1 – Let us help you plan a day trip to Nantucket. The Whale Museum is a wonderful resource to learn about Cape Cod’s history. Check out a previous post to learn about our top 10 favorite things to do on the island. After your ferry ride home enjoy a wonderful Northern Italian meal at one of our favorite spots- Bucas Tuscan Roadhouse. They stay incredibly busy year round so let us know in advance so that we can reserve our very favorite table for you.
- Day 2 -Cape Cod is known for its whale watching so we always love to include a day in P’Town on our recommended places for you to see. P’Town is a lively destination filled with many things to do. It’s quite crowded in the summer so you will enjoy coming back to our quiet inn in our lovely town of Brewster:) Consider reserving our great Frolicking with Whales Package which includes two whale watching tickets, lunch at our favorite seafood spot in P’Town- the Lobster Pot and a care package of water, sunscreen, cookies and fruit along with our popular Captain Freeman Inn caps. During your time in P’Town climb the Pilgrim Monument and check out the local art scene in town.
- Day 3- We are in love with the Heritage Museum in Sandwich. The gardens are especially breathtaking during the Rhododendron Festival in May but we enjoy going there year round. The grounds are meticulously kept and the car museum a hoot! If you are feeling especially daring, sign up for their new Zip Line at the museum. During your time in Barnstable stop off at our favorite bookstore- Titcombs and afterwards wander through the quaint town of Barnstable. While in the area have lunch or dinner at the spectacular Fishermen’s View- there is not only a fabulous view of the Canal but also the food is delicious along with great outside dining.
Day 4- Spend a day at the National Seashore. Most guests come to Cape Cod to enjoy our beautiful protected National Seashore. We frequently go to Nauset Beach but also love Marconi. We love to recommend that our guests stop at the Salt Pond Visitor Center. The rangers there are very helpful and can help you decide which beach to go to. If you are visiting in the summer months we have plenty of beach towels, chairs and umbrellas for you to use. For lunch visit Moby Dicks for some great fried seafood. After your day on the beach come back to the inn, relax by the pool and later enjoy a wonderful meal at Spinnakers, which is just a few steps from the inn.
- Day 5- For your last day of vacation it’s always nice to relax and enjoy all of the wonderful attractions in Brewster. Sleep in and catch the last seating for our breakfast before 10 am. Afterwards wander over to our Brewster General Store and buy some old fashion penny candy. Take a hike around Nickerson State park which is just a few miles from the inn. Have a lobster roll at our acclaimed Sesuit Harbor Cafe. And lastly and most importantly sit out on our front porch and rock life away while reading that good book. Our front porch is a perfect place to relax and let life move at a much slower pace. For your dinner on your last night walk to our popular Brewster Fish House and enjoy a creatively prepared meal. The fish is always fresh and paired perfectly with vegetables and purees.
While these are just some of our favorites, we have so many places to recommend during your visit. We have learned over the years to listen to our guests and understand what is important to them before we recommend a restaurant of destination.
Consider a trip to our award winning inn, the Captan Freeman Inn and see why we have received our most recent awards from Trip Adviser, Cape Cod Magazine, Fodors and the Expert’s Choice Award. Cape Cod is a very special place to visit and our boutique bed and breakfast, the Captain Freeman Inn is the best accommodations on Cape Cod!