Breakfast is a very special time at the inn! We love to share our love of good food- using the freshest ingredients possible and almost always homemade in the inn’s kitchen.
Recently I posted a picture of our breakfast pizzas. They really are quite yummy and can be made the day before. A reader asked us for the recipe which is shown below:
- 2¼ cups All Purpose Flour
- 2¼ cups Bread Flour
- 3¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- ⅓ cup plus 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 5 large eggs
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup plus 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes at room temperature
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Creme Fraiche
- Thick Bacon- cooked ahead
- Eggs to taste- either scrambled, fried or poached
- Using your stand mixer, combine the flours, yeast, sugar, salt, 5 eggs and ½ cup water and beat on low speed for 3-4 minutes. Stop the mixer as needed to scrape the sides of the bowl. Once the dough has come together beat on low speed for another 3-4 minutes. The dough will seem stiff and quite dry. Still on low speed, add the butter, once piece at a time. Make sure each piece is fully incorporated before adding the next piece. This will take about 10 minutes on low speed. Once the butter is fully incorporated , increase the mixer to medium speed and beat for another 15 minutes or until the dough becomes sticky, soft and somewhat shiny. It will take some time for it to come together - you will hear the dough make a slap-slap sound on the edge of the bowl when it is ready. You can add more flour or water if needed- it should stretch a little and have some give. Transfer the dough to a large bowl and cover it with plastic. Let it proof in the frig for 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 and place cookie sheets lined with parchment in the oven to preheat. Divide the dough in half and shape into two rectangles. Cut each piece into 8 equal squares. Each square of dough should weigh about 3½ ounces. Stretch each piece into a circle about 5 inches in diameter as if you were making a small pizza. Stretch the inner part of the circle quite thin and shape the edge of the circle to create a rim. Place each pizza on your preheated cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Using the back of a spoon spread a thin layer of creme fraiche and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until lightly browned. At this point you can remove from the oven and add your precooked bacon, scrambled eggs and spinach or your can crack two eggs in the center and sprinkle with more mozzarella and place back in the oven for another 8-10 minutes.
- You can purchase creme fraiche in your dairy section or you can make it at home the day before. Place 1 cup heavy cream in a glass measuring cup. Add 1 Tablespoon of buttermilk and mix well. Cover with saran wrap and let set in a warm place overnight.