by Donna Cain
I enjoy blogging and have found over the past couple of years that I tend to blog more in the winter when I have more free time to explore Cape Cod. During the summer months we tend to stay close to home and my daily challenge is to prepare a healthy dinner for us, which is a continual challenge when my energy tends to wean after all of our guests are checked in and happy. As I was preparing our evening meal tonight it occurred to me that many of our readers face similar challenges as they come home tired from busy days of commuting, working and tending to our families. I suddenly thought it would be fun to share some of the simple recipes that I enjoy preparing for our evening meal. My inspiration comes from Hello Fresh ( a food delivery service that we use for 3 meals a week, what’s growing fresh in our garden, pintrist (where you can find wonderful ideas, pictures and recipes) and the many cookbooks I have collected over the years.
Tonight’s meal included a Seared Tuna with Basmati Rice, Arugula Salad with fresh radishes from our garden and a delicious light aioli sauce. The meal was so easy to prepare and was ready in 15 minutes. The tuna was grilled on the stove top with olive oil and sesame seeds so no need to start up the oven on a hot evening.
- 2 (5-ounce) fillets of albacore tuna
- 2 Tablespoons Sesame Seeds
- ½ cup Basmati Rice
- Small piece of fresh Ginger
- 1 clove garlic
- White vinegar
- Fresh Lemon
- Olive Oil
- 4 radishes
- 2 cups fresh arugula
- Boil 1 cup of water. Add a pinch of salt and add ½ cup Basmati Rice. Simmer of 15 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Once cooked turn off heat, cover and hold until the meal is ready.
- Thinly slice the radishes, chop the garlic and ginger.
- Make the aioli sauce by mixing 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise, ginger, garlic, 1 teaspoon vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.
- Season the tuna with salt and pepper and press the sesame seeds into the tuna. Heat 1 Tablespoons in a fry pan and add the tuna. Cook for about 1 minute per side for rare tuna. If you like it medium or more well done continue to cook on low for a few more minutes.
- In a salad bowl whisk together 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil, 1 Tablespoon White Wine Vinegar, squeeze of fresh lemon, salt and pepper. Add the arugula and radishes and toss together.
- Thinly slice the tuna and place on top of the rice with a side of salad and drizzle the aioli sauce on top.
I always have on hand Olive Oil, White and Balsamic Vinegars, Salt and Pepper, fresh lemons, mayonnaise, grey poupon mustard and fresh garlic. Fresh lettuce, tomatoes and vegetables from the garden can always be prepared with these ingredients and then all you need is a protein to make a perfect healthy meal.