I think everyone loves a good cupcake. There is something so endearing about 2-3 bites of old fashion birthday cake topped with a really delicious frosting. For me it brings back memories of birthday parties I use to attend as a little kid. I personally love anything with lemon and when I saw the buttermilk in this recipe I knew immediately that it would be a winner. The recipe is complete with our famous Cream Cheese frosting!
Lemon Cupcakes | Captain Freeman Inn
Author: Donna Cain
Recipe type: Cupcake
Who does't love a most lemony cupcake? The buttermilk, along with the lemon zest in this recipe creates a really flavorful cake.
- 1½ cups cake flour
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 9 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 teaspoons lemon zest
- 12 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- whole lemon for rind
- Preheat oven to 350. Sift dry ingredients together and put aside. In stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, blending well after each addition. Reduce speed to low, add dry ingredients to butter mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk and dry ingredients and ending with dry. Beat well. Add vanilla, lemon extract and zest. Divide batter among 24 cupcake tins lined with paper, filling each ¾ full. Bake 20 minutes until tester inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack and frost with cream cheese frosting. Top with a twist of lemon rind.
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- In medium bowl, blend butter, cream cheese and sugar together with a hand or stand mixer. Add vanilla and lemon zest.
This recipe is a show stopper 🙂