by Donna Cain
I promise this is not a picture from a magazine or cookbook and was fresh baked this morning at the Captain Freeman Inn.
Always on the lookout for new recipes and this one is a keeper! The combination of almonds, orange marmalade, strawberries, blueberries and a hint of thyme makes for a delectable afternoon delight!
- 6 eggs (separated at room temperature)
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme (minced)
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ orange marmalade
- 2 pints fresh strawberries (washed, hulled and halved)
- ½ cup blueberries
- 2 Tablespoons sliced almonds (toasted)
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a removable bottom tart pan with a non-stick spray. In a mixing bowl, whip the egg yolks and 1 Tablespoon of water on high speed until thick and lemon colored, about 5 minutes. Fold the almond flour and thyme into the yolks. In a clean bowl, whip the egg whites and sugar until medium peaks form, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add a large Tablespoon of the whites into the egg yolk mixture to loosen it and fold the remaining egg whites into the mixture and mix until just combined. Pour the batter into prepared tart pan. Bake until the edges are golden brown, about 5-8 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes. Remove from the pan and place on a rack to cool. Melt marmalade in microwave until it is runny and brush the top of the tart with half of it. Lay the strawberries on the glaze in a circle starting from the outside ending with a mound in the middle. Fill gaps with blueberries. Glaze the strawberries and the edge of the tart with the remaining orange marmalade glaze. Sprinkle with the toasted almonds. Garnish with a thyme sprig.
After a day on the beach for your Cape Cod vacation, it’s always fun for our guests to return to our Brewster inn for a homemade baked good to enjoy by the pool or on our lovely front porch.
Strawberries and blueberries are in season and this recipe is perfect for that summer gathering. Happy summer everyone and bon appetit!