This morning we served the most delicious Lemon Pistachio Biscotti with our Berry Granola Parfaits! It was the perfect combination of fresh lemon flavors, salt from the Pistachios and crunch from the double baking.
We have many different biscotti recipes in our repertoire of menus including Cranberry Cornmeal, Lemon, Almond, Walnut Fig and Candy Cane for the holidays . Yesterday, I was feeling the urge to try something new and was searching Pinterest for some ideas- landed on a recipe from Starbucks for Lemon Pistachio Biscotti. I changed the recipe slightly to increase the lemon flavor and size of the biscotti. We like the American version of biscotti which is slightly crunchy but more cake like. I am always afraid that I will crack a tooth with the European versions that are so hard to bite into. The next time I am in a Starbucks I want to try their version and see how it compares. Guessing that ours is better as we make them fresh:)
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature and cut into small pieaces
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 3 Large eggs (one is used for the egg wash)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shelled pistachios, roasted and coarsely chopped
- Place the butter pieces with the sugar in your stand mixer ( you can also use a bowl with a wooden spoon) Beat on medium until smooth and well blended. Add 2 eggs, one at a time until well blended. In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the butter mixture and mix until well blended. Stir in the vanilla, lemon zest and pistachios. Place the dough on your counter top and knead a few times to make sure the pistachios are well blended. Divide the dough in half and roll into two logs about 12 inches long. Flatten tops and transfer to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Egg wash both logs and bake at 375 for 20 minutes until the top is golden brown. Let the logs cool. Slice each log into 10 pieces and place back in a 350 oven for 10 minutes.