In 2011, the Captain Freeman Inn became a verified Cape and Island Green business, a deignation that is supported by the Cape Cod Light Compact, Cape Cod Self Reliance and the Community Development partnership, all supporting a "greener earth and community".
Through the recent renovations at the inn, steps were taken to improve energy efficiency and also to put procedures in place for recycling many of the inn's supplies as well as paper, plastic and glass that the guests leave. All of the employees also take pride in doing their part to turn off lights and moniter the airconditiones in the guest rooms.
All of our guest soap ammenities that are partially used and left behind are recycled and sent to Clean the World which sends all the soaps to countries that are in need. It feels so good not to through away partially used soaps.
All of our "green changes" have been very well received by our guests.
Things we do to help our environment:
- Recycle paper, cardboard, glass, plastic, and aluminum at our local transfer station.
- Use signage in the room encouraging guests to reuse towels.
- Use washable dishes and napkins for breakfast instead of paper or plastic.
- Use recycled products when and where possible.
- Use compact florescent lighting in most light fixtures.
- Use high efficiency washing machines - they use less water and less soap!
- Turn off lights and air conditioning when not in use.
- Grow our own herbs and vegetables
- Compost all of our organic waste from the kitchen and gardens
- Buy food from local growers as much as possible.
- Provide outdoor space for wildlife habitat.
- Buy products as locally as possible